Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The real emotions of being abroad

As I sit here planning more trips for the semester and waiting to embark on a weekend adventure to Budapest I'm reminded of all the real emotions that come with being abroad. It's not all nutella and gelato all the time. It's the moments of laughter and crying. The moments of complete elation and heartache.  It's finding a balance with keeping in touch with friends from around the world, but still managing to be present with the people here.
      The smell of car exhaust and smoke fills the air every time I walk outside. It's been tough to adjust to walking outside and not getting "fresh air".  Then you combine that with the constant honking and sirens that just contributes to the clustered scene of living in a city. At least there aren't a zillion stray dogs here that bark all night, every night like in Chile.
    The hard times are those moments when your little brother commits to playing baseball in college and you aren't there to congratulate him or when he gets contacts for the first time. The hard times are seeing all the excitement via social media for my lacrosse team as they go to Santa Barbara this weekend for arguably the best weekend of their lacrosse career. The hard times of watching the figure skating team skate outside at Keystone, get together to watch the Olympics and prepare for next weekend's Pioneer Open Competition. The hard times are knowing that my grandma turns 90 next weekend (way to go Grams!!!!) and not being there in person and not knowing when I'll get to see she or any members of my extended family next.  The hard times are having huge blisters on my feet and not being able to go for a run. The hard times are just being away from the ice for so long. The moments when you feel like you're gaining 187987234 pounds, but the food is just so good. The times of going to the ATM and watching the money somehow magically disappear but remembering that it's being used on great things. The times of watching other people here living with unlimited funds from mommy and daddy when I saved up the money to spend here (other than tuition). The hard times of not being able to watch the olympics and having to follow it via the newspaper.
    But with every hard time comes many many more great times. Like the nutella filled doughnut Julie and I shared at the chocolate festival today. Or the moments of snorting at lunch so the whole room can hear me because Sam has cracked just one of her many jokes.  Or the great moment of teaching English to Eduardo with Austin and laughing at each other because this 16 year old listens to rap music that swears and rolls his eyes at his mom. Or when eating dinner and Eduardo's father says "I love you" to me while meaning to say "I love it" when referring to the cake we were eating. And then there's the great moment when I received a letter from Jasmine in Ukraine and a box of goodies from mom for Valentine's day. And the times of meeting a solo Australian traveler on the train telling you that your conversation made her whole day.
     And there's moments of little victories like speaking with my little Italian and actually getting my point across. Or getting As on my tests. And the victory of finishing another book. The moment when you embrace all the cat calls and shouts or stop a pick pocketer from getting you. Don't forget about the victory of staying awake for the first act of Madame Butterfly the Opera (we won't talk about the 2nd act).
    But these are the real feelings that come with living somewhere unfamiliar with people you've barely known for 1 month.  Emotions are real people!  Don't get me wrong I am so excited that I'm here because this is a dream that has come true, but that doesn't mean that I have to post a bunch of exciting pictures on facebook (except I do) or only post the incredible moments on my blog. Because you're supposed to feel this whole spectrum of emotions. And I know it's easy to look at me and say "tough life, poor girl. you're living in Europe." Trust me, I get it. My life is INCREDIBLE!!! And the toughest moments here do not even come anywhere close to the toughest moments for many people around this world.
     I've learned a great deal about friendship throughout the course of my life, but especially since June 5, 2013 when I left DU. I learned that a simple phone call before you board a plane to head to a foreign country can be the most comforting gift you'll receive in awhile. I've learned that a postcard means more than what you think it does when you buy it from that man off the street. I've learned that a facebook message really can be personable and brighten someones day. I've learned that distance doesn't have to change the bond you have with people. As Aristotle describes Perfect Friendship he says that the friendship is for the betterment of both parties and boy have I seen that. Here are the 3 greatest gifts I think there are-Life, Love and Friendship and how amazing is it that I've been blessed by all 3?! The man upstairs must be watching me.  When you remove yourself from your comfortable bubble you learn a lot about people. I've had many conversations with friends from DU and they've each shared their struggles with me.  It's been hard not to sit and hug each and every one of you. You never know what people sitting right next to you are going through. I've had conversations here with a few friends whom I know will be apart of my life forever and I couldn't be more grateful that they're here with me (Sam, Julie(s), Carly, Alicia, Connor, Yesenia and Val).
     So thank you- thank you for the skype calls from friends at odd hours of the day, the snapchats of the snowy rocky mountains, the facebebook messages of encouragement and well wishes.  Thanks for staying in contact and being a part of my life, because TRUST ME when I say that I really care about your life. I love seeing the snapchats and instagrams of snow because I miss that as well.  I really do love hearing and seeing what's going on. And most importantly thanks to my parents for believing in this dream since I was 9 years old even when it sounded crazy.
Nutella doughnut 
        I am not homesick and there is no other place in the world I would rather be because wherever you are now is where you're supposed to be. Whether you realize that now, in 2 months or in 10 years, you're where you need to be. All it takes is one look back at the elementary school dreamer to remember why I am here today. And life's an adventure so here I am embracing one GIANT one!



   "A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive."-Walt Disney
Julie and Sam. My best friends here
My friend Francessco. He said to make sure I told my mom
I had found an Italian boyfriend

No comments:

Post a Comment