Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Snowy Slovenia

 After a weekend trip to Slovenia I want to move there at some point in my life. There were positions available to work at our hostel (Castle hostel) so I texted my parents saying that if I don't come home I'll be in Bled working at the hostel dating a hockey player. Sounds pretty good right? Bled was a beautiful, quaint town at the edge of a lake nestled in the hills with a grand castle.  We arrived in a snow storm Thursday night which produced almost 3 feet of snow. Friday morning Brian and I got up to ski at Vogel just about 30km outside of Bled. We hopped on a bus and headed through the snow. After the bus driver abandoned ship to dig out another bus, we made it to the resort. After purchasing 18Euro half day lift tickets, renting skis (15Euro/day) and Brian getting some ski clothes we headed to the slopes.  There were probably 30 people there and we were by far the best skiers. After several laps on the T bar and the only lift open (due to avalanches) we enjoyed some pizza and practiced our Slovene. After warming up and drying off we skied a little while longer. Skiing through snow and powder and then dealing with the rain that eventually came.  Hopefully this was the first of a few trips skiing in the Alps.  After making stir-fry with an Australian and Brit it was bed time.
T Bar selfies
hot chocolate aka chocolate pudding
Saturday we were warned that the conditions at Kravec resort were not going to be very enjoyable and there were lots of avalanches. So no skiing today.  They cancelled the FIS slalom world championships that day there too.  We headed to the capital city, Ljubljana to go to the castle and walk around. It rained some but it was a fun city.  It was cool to learn more about Slovenia and the former Yugoslavia because that's where my heritage is from. I enjoyed some hot chocolate/hot pudding by some guys who were impressed to meet Americans.  After going to a typical Slovenia liquor store and learning about honey brandy and the importance of schnapps in the country (and Brian purchasing Absinthe) we headed back on the bus to Bled.  That night was pizza at Pizzeria Rustika nestled in the basement of a cabin in Bled. Top 3 best pizzas of my entire life (and I've had lots of pizza!)  The pizza had dried meat, cheese, rukola, black olives, garlic and basil.  There were some tween girls listening to One Direction and Miley Cyrus signing. Brian said "I guess tween girls being annoying is universal."  While eating pizza the song "You're the Voice" came on.

international stir fry dinner

Ljubljana

Bled
Now if you've kept up with my adventures that's the song the boys sang while heading to Valle Nevado when we skied in Chile. So now the only 2 times I've heard this song in public has been in Chile and Slovenia.  Memories came flooding back.  After enjoying several power outages while sitting at the bar "Devil" it was bed time.
Brian and I at the castle in Ljubljana
Sunday morning came early as we left in hopes of seeing the Postojna cave (best known cave in the world). But because of snow the cave was closed  :(  Super sad. But like I said I want to move to Slovenia so hopefully I'll get to see them and maybe you'll come visit!





Bled




No comments:

Post a Comment