Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Friday, May 16, 2014

21st birthday

Birthdays come once a year and it's a day to feel loved by all those exciting people in your life.  Facebook has turned birthdays into casual "HBD" posts on your wall.  It allows people to remember your birthday though.  Thanks to all my friends and family for the phone calls, texts, emails and cards. You made my day!


My present from my parents was a trip to Denver to celebrate my 21st.  The trip to my other home was incredible.  I spent 3.5 days wandering around DU and seeing friends. I have never had a homecoming quite like this. One of my favorite things in the entire world is hugs.  I LOVE hugs and some of the best hugs of my life occurred this week.

I haven't seen most of these friends in a year. We reminisced how a year ago at this time we were saying goodbyes, a little weary and nervous about all going abroad, but excited for our adventures. It does not seem like that long ago.

I got to celebrate my birthday with so many people and even though it was 40 degrees with some snow on the ground we had fun.  I got to roller blade, ride bikes, get waffle fries at Chick-Fil-A and truffle fries at Park Burger, watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs, eat red velvet cake, make chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, go to Trader Joes and Sprouts, eat lunch at Illegal Pete's and several meals with different friends, walk around the park and spend nights out way past my usual bed time!

Friends would call or text me and I would walk around catching up with people here and there.
Catching up with friends whom I've literally traveled the country and world with was so fun.  Each one makes me proud. Proud when people from home ask what my friends are doing this summer and I say they're "interning with Merrill Lynch, hiking Switzerland, researching environmental impacts of diving in Caribbean" They're inspirational, but still 20/21 year old kids always ready to have fun.

I'm so excited to go back to DU in the fall for senior year.  Three years ago I was debating between attending Loyola Marymount University, Gonzaga University, and the University of Denver. I was so undecided and after this year I can surely so I'm incredibly happy with my decision to attend DU. The people are adventurous, kind, compassionate, intelligent and happy to be alive!

So thank you to all who made my trip fantastic. To old friends and some new ones thanks for celebrating my return to the US and my 21st birthday. Thanks for caring about me and being genuinely interested in my life. Thank you for the hugs, dancing, singing, sleepovers, rides to/from the airport and the cakes. It was definitely a birthday to remember (yes I remember my entire 21st!)

No comments:

Post a Comment