Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Monday, April 7, 2014

Pretty Prague

I'd heard from many fellow European travelers that Prague was their favorite city they visited so from the beginning I wanted to check it out.  Julie left on Thursday and I was supposed to go that day too, but "summer schedule" had begun and I arrived at the airport to be told the flight had left 4 hours prior. No big deal, I got put on the next flight which was Saturday with no change fee. Things really do always turn out just fine and I was able to get school work done.  Upon my arrival Saturday Julie and I set out to see the city. We saw the Jubilee synagogue, astronomical clock, Prague Castle, the dancing house, a few churches and my personal favorite-the Charles Bridge.  Prague is known for its unique architecture and colorful buildings. We'd find ourselves just looking up at seemingly random buildings and staring at their intricate architecture. At one point there were some nicely dressed young men and who could they be??? LDS missionaries of course! A little reminder of home right there. There were so many happy people out just walking around.  There was an unusually high population of men.  The male to female ratio in the city had to be about 4:1.  We kept seeing these Thai message places with water tanks full of little fish and Julie has always wanted one of these fish pedicures. So she spent 25 minutes in a display case with her feet dangling in fish water while they ate her dead skin and I had a message by a 4 foot tall Thai grandma.  I had to hold back from laughing as she jumped across my back as I'm lying on a foam pad, in a bright orange cloth outfit, and thai music playing.  Quite the experience for $15.  The John Lennon Wall was also an experience. Since the 1980s it was been used to share quotes and artwork of Beatles lyrics and ideas of peace.  A group of 60 year old Asian women just loved us and wanted to take pictures with us and talk to us about America. They said "We from Korea. South Korea. You know Gangnam Style?"  Oh well of course we do and I proceeded to do a little dance for them.
And here are our new friends 
I stumbled upon the Patagonia store. It's now become a fun thing to see how many countries I can find a store in and even more relevant now that I've been to the actual Patagonia region. Walking around that night was fun too. Most of the bars allow smoking inside them which is a great way to keep Julie and I out.
pretty buildings 
    Eating bratwursts, langos, gelato, apple strudel, and trdelnik wasn't bad either.  Beer is cheaper than water which makes sense since legend has it that the god of hospitality invented it in the Czech Republic.  The city was clean and the streets were relatively large. Everyone spoke a good deal of English which was necessary when trying to navigate the confusing streets. It's a city of culture and proud people.  I saw more tongue piercings, dreadlocks (on an Asian too), and colorful hair than I have in any other city. I loved Prague especially the river! Definitely a place worth visiting.

astronomical clock

Julie and I at the Charles Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment