Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Monday, September 30, 2013

Living

This is one of the strangest posts I'll ever have I'm sure, but after going to to one of the largest cemeteries in South America my curiosity peaked.  I've always thought cemeteries are interesting because there are more people buried under the ground than alive on earth. There are about 15 dead people to every 1 living person. There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived. How cultures deal with death is fascinating to me. I want to live for as long as I can and would never want to know the date of my death if I could, but death doesn't scare me. I don't want a grave in some cemetery somewhere with a bunch of other people. And throw a party with ice cream and bright colors for me instead of a funeral with crying and people dressed in black.  This life is supposed to be happy so find reasons to rejoice in it everyday.  But back to the Cemeterio General visit in Santiago.....

The cemetery has over 2 million graves on a plot of land of over 210 acres. It was established in 1820 and houses some of the most prominent figures in Chilean history including Salvador Allende (past president) and Victor Jara (poet&musician). As you enter the cemetery the tombstones are hug, stone sculptures. They have the usual date of birth and date of death inscribe on them and some have sayings and messages.  Many families are buried together under large mausoleums symbolizing the importance of family in Chilean culture. As you walk through the streets (there are street signs) you begin to see a change in the tombs. It really is like visiting a city with different class structures. The tombs toward the back of the cemetery became less grand and eventually at the very back crosses are the only markers.  There are tall apartment like structures which hold 10 stories people.  The plots at the back are close together and overruled by weeds.  There's a section for "No Names" dedicated to the people who died during military power and whose bodies were never identified. There were rows and rows of rusting metal crosses in organization similar to Arlington.
apartment like tombs
30+ flower stalls outside the cemetery with old men and
women making beautiful bouquets for people to
place on the graves of their loved ones


family mausoleum 

"No Names"

Victor Jara's grave

Chile and the United States have the same average age of life expectancy, 79. From what I've observed in my time here the "old people" are still going strong. They take walks, dance, share stories and don't eat more than they need to. I've seen just how powerful close family connections can be. I've watched my dad pull over on the side of the road to a statue of "Ave Maria" so he can pray for his deceased parents. I listened as he talks about a funeral of a close friend. People here appreciate the privilege of life. They really appreciate connecting with one another. I'm not saying that Americans and people from other countries don't, but I've noticed it more here. Taking time to stop and smell the roses and watch as people in heaven paint the sky each night.

I've had the opportunity to talk to many of my friends here and we commonly bring up our futures. We're in our early 20s and we're living in Chile for 5 months! We have this incredible opportunity and what is it for? I have friends who are graduating soon who plan to lead back country ski tours or help open a yoga studio. These dreams scare many of our parents because aren't we supposed to get a degree and go to work using that degree? For many people of my generation we just aren't ready to head straight into the work force with a full time job in a cubical at age 22. One day maybe we'll get there, not not at 22. I've learned that following your passion eliminates stress. If you're passionate about something then all the work necessary to pursue your passion is worth it. I think these past months have shown me what it's like to really slow down and LIVE. To live and to love every single day. To truly appreciate each day and realize it's a gift. To appreciate my friendships I've made here and the friendships I maintain from back home. To really be presently happy.

This is one of my favorite poems.....
The Dash-Linda Ellis 

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end

He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was “the dash” between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash”

No comments:

Post a Comment