Pages

Snowbird, UT

Snowbird, UT

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Life is Good

from Megan

Care package from MN& St. Louis

 The Bat Shop


The souvenir shop


Ali's cookies :)


So I'm trying this new thing for the month.  I'm trying to only purchase products that are made in America.  It's proving more difficult than one would hope for.  This was prompted when Lwiggy and I were talking about how people say they're so patriotic and love America, but don't support small businesses and buying local.  Recently the US Olympic Committee was criticized for their official uniforms sporting the famous label "Made in China".  That's ridiculous that for our home team we don't have uniforms made at home stimulating out own economy.  I'm fortunate because there isn't much I need to buy but now I spend time shopping online for made in America goods.  It's kind of fun but challenging for sure.
    Sunday- my day off!  I slept in after having an overnight.  It rained this morning but yesterday was 90 degrees + which is especially hot when you're outside the entire time.  Hopefully I'll get a nice tan, that's a joke because it'll be a major farmers tan.  I led the Golden Arm skills competition yesterday. That's where one representative of all 104 teams has a chance to throw 3 balls from center field at a wooden target at home plate.  I love the responsibility that comes from leading it. Some of these kids are so nervous when they first throw.  I love when I get to talk to the players though.  I went to a brewery yesterday with the guys for lunch. I had a veggie burger, soooo good! and sweet potato tots.  There was a chocolate shop nearby so we went in and had chocolate covered bacon. It was actually pretty good but the chocolate orange were better.  We're going to go back at some point and take a chocolate making class.  I had Friday morning off so I worked out and then went down to the river just to hang out.  I swam because it was so hot and then just listened to country music and laid in the sun.  It was so nice.  It's gorgeous and quiet down there. I worked out 4 times last week which was great.  I still miss the gym and skating and lacrosse but that'll just make it more exciting when I get back.  There's a 16 year old new intern with us from California. It's crazy that he's TJ's age and he's here for the summer. We played football the other day and he's cool.  I'm officially done working in the souvenir and bat shop and I'll be with baseball operations full time.  I'm definitely excited. I learned a lot from working in retail in regards to business, mark ups, purchase orders, etc but I know that I don't really have a desire to work in retail again.  Hopefully I enjoy being in ops full time.
    I seriously have the best friends in the world.  All the interns here know it to because every time they see me I seem to have another package from a friend.  Megan Neumann sent me a package with twizzlers, natural peanut butter, reeses pieces and other yummy treats, Ali Everitt sent homeade gluten free peanut butter an chocolate cookies which are some of the best cookies I've had and my St. Louis and Minnesota girls sent a super cute coffee cup, hot cocoa packets, and other candy.  Allison Boyd sent gluten free chocolate chip cookies last week too.  I seriously am so thankful that I'm at DU with some of the most amazing people in the world.  I love and miss my friends tons but it's reassuring knowing that we'll all be together soon laughing and having fun again.
    Every day gets better here.  I love being able to help people out every day whether it's getting baseballs for umpires, answering questions, playing tag with little kids, or honoring 2 mothers of 12 year old boys from a Nebraska team that lost their life to breast cancer it's really nice to be able to help people.  I've always wanted to use sports as a way of connecting with people and making their lives a little bit brighter and this is a way I get to do that daily!





No comments:

Post a Comment